Friday, June 05, 2009

Day 134 - 136: Northern Lights!!

Day 134
Date: 13 JAN 2009


Leaving the clinic in the morning,

Photobucket

I met up with Nathalie and we went to pick up the car together.

Photobucket

Got the car, picked up our stuffs and we were ready to rock and roll.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

First stop, petrol station.

Photobucket

Once thats was done, we rolled the wheels straight onto the highway heading up north.

Photobucket

Nothing very spectacular today except for this chinese place we saw on our way up.

Photobucket

We took turns in driving and When one drives the other automatically becomes the navigator.

Photobucket

Photobucket

we ended up in Umea for the night. Jornas, the guy in the middle, is our host for the night. I like his hair colour. Haha.

Photobucket


Day 135
Date: 14 JAN 2009


The winter here in up north is so cold that you have to plug in a cable if you parked overnight so that the car gets heated or else you will have problem starting the car the next day.

Photobucket

When we got to our car, it has already been covered up in thick snow and so we will have to clear away the snow before we can drive.

Photobucket

It was my first time clearing snow off the car and obviously I did not do a good job as you can see I ended up with snow all over me.

Photobucket

After seeing us off, Jornas went cycling to work.

Photobucket

The view after Umea got better as we entered the less populated area.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We stopped by Lulea, a small town, along the way to have a look as well as to take a break. Here, The whole lake was frozen. People were driving their cars across the lake to get to the other side. I wanted to tried driving on the frozen lake but did not do it in the end.

Here are the photos taken in Lulea.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You will need a ice breaker ship to sail at this time of the year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Leaving Lulea, we headed north for awhile more before turning east towards Finland. And after driving for a few more hours, we finally crossed the border into Finland.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Haha. So guess who am I staying with tonight? TAINA ofcourse!! I am so happy to be back in Rovaniemi again. Yes, Rovaniemi was the place were we spent the night. I did not even informed Taina that I am coming back. I only gave her a call less than an hour before my arrival. She too was surprised and happy.

Photobucket


Day 136
Date: 15 JAN 2009

For the third time in less than a month I am back in The Santa Claus Village. I always thought that I would want to come here at least once in my lifetime. Never did I knew that I came here thrice. Well, Nathalie wanted to see this place and so we came.

Photobucket

After which, we went back to Rovaniemi town to take a look. Oh my it was so cold. So very much colder than the last time I was here which was just a few weeks ago. This time round, I cant even stand more than 15 minutes in the open. My fingers started to lose sensation and my nose started to feel stiff. Just look at how thick the mist is on top of the river and how we covered up our faces. It should give you an impression of how cold it was.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out this video of the mist, the frozen river and the beautiful sunrise.



It was really freezing cold. Want to know the temperature? Take a look this!!!!!

Photobucket

And it dropped further to MINUS 32 CENTIGRADE!!!! Brrrrr.... This was indeed my Cold Journey. But we soon forget about the coldness when we saw this cute Reindeer trying to cross the road.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ok. we are now happy. And we enjoyed the rest of our drive through the wilderness with the pink sky and white snow all over the place. Isnt it beautiful? Nice colour ya?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

SuomiPop, the finnish radio that kept us accompanied.

Photobucket

Destination of tonight, Invalo. Invalo is the furthest place up north I have ever been. Even further north than Rovaniemi. After meeting up with our host in Invalo, we went for dinner and on the way back home, we had the best moment in our life. WE SAW THE REAL FULL NORTHERN LIGHTS!!!!! It was really amazing and beyond words can describle. It was legendary!!! It was B.E.A.U.tiful!! Even though it was cold, we braved it for as long as we can, standing on the frozen river, watching the northern lights DANCE!!!

This is how it was, first it appears, then it disappears. Then it comes back even stronger and brighter. Moving like a wave, dancing its way through the sky. Now, enough said. Lets show you the northern lights!!! It was mind blowing! Below are pictures taken in different moments of the northern lights shown in chronological order.

Hold your breath and embrace the magical moments!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Awesome right?

Anyway, that night, I was being surrounded by the french. You see, my fellow travel mate is french and our host are also french not one, but all 3 of them. And so there I was with 4 french girls. Was I lucky? Haha. *wink*

Photobucket



*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home