Thursday, July 02, 2009

Day 164: Glacier Express

Date: 12 FEB 2009

Well, as I had mentioned in my previous post, I encountered the WORST and most TORTURING 5 hours that I had ever been through on this trip today. Reason being, it was freezing cold and I had no place to spent the night. This was what happened.

Forgetting the fact that I was in the mountains of Switzerland during winter, I had decided to spent a night at the train station while waiting for my next train. Upon reaching the train station, I realised that this train station was the open concept type, which means to say that I no place to shield myself from the wind, not forgetting to mention to even keep myself warm. This is bad.

It was 12 midnight. I went walking around the vicinity trying to look for the "best" place to hide myself. After a quick look, I found this flight of stairs leading towards the basement.

Photobucket

I followed it and it got me to the carpark. And there, I found the "best" spot to keep myself warm. You see, after going down the stair, there was this fire fighting compartment where you open a door which leads to an empty space, and than u have to open another door before you get to the carpark. The should be the best place to be.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And so I sat at one corner and tried to get to sleep.

Photobucket

However, the warmness did not last for long. Soon, the chill took over and I started shivering again. Never mind, I thought. I was only at Basement 1, I can still move down to basement 2. It should be warmer. And so I did. However, the chill seems to be following me wherever I went and before I knew it, I was already at the lowest level. So I had no choice but to stay there.

Thus, cold and shivering, yes I was, still trying to find means to keep myself warm. But it all fails to help. Soon, I gave up. I just sat at that corner, hugging my bag, hoping that time will fly faster. Yeah, I wish, ofcourse. But as the night got later, it got colder as well. Temperature check. I got a shock. It was around MINUS 20 CENTIGRADE. Can you imagine how cold it was? But still the only thing I can do was just WAIT. Man, it was a long and cold night.


Minutes felt like hours...... Tick.... Dock.... Tick.... Dock....

Then it was finally 4 plus. People started driving into the carpark, thus walking pass me as they got to the stairs. I was very surprise that everyone greeted me good morning as they walked pass!! This will never happen in Singapore. If someone see a person sitting pathetically down in one corner, they will definitely give him the stare and stay away from him instead.

Hey, these people must be the station workers. So the first place I went to was to the toilet to take a look. And yes, I was right. the train toilet is now open and the cleaners were doing up the toilet. Finally, a place for me to stay away from the cold.

I stood beside this radiator for ages. So warm!!!

Photobucket

Took the chance to charge my camera batteries as well.

Photobucket

The toilet staffs were still cleaning up the toilet, but they were kind enough to let me stay in.

Photobucket

So much for the coldness. It was finally time for me to board my train and after a short ride, I arrived at St Moritz. I was initially very tired and sleepy. I have not slept a wink for the whole night (too cold!!) but as soon as I saw St Moritz, it took my breath away. It was so awesome here. Amazingly beautiful. I took a walk in the park. People were walking their dogs and everyone greeted everyone good morning, including me. It made me felt very welcome.

Check out this video and you will know what I mean.



Enough said. Its time to flood you with the beauty of Switzerland. These are photos taken in the initial part.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Frozen lake.

Photobucket

More photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The snow level is now higher than this rubbish bin.

Photobucket

More photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nice house.

Photobucket

Saint Moritz.

Photobucket

This squirrel got up early as well. So cute.

Photobucket

Sun rising over the Swiss Alps!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The main reason for me in coming to St Moritz is to take the famous GLACIER EXPRESS!!! Excited!!

The Glacier express is probably Switzerland's most scenic train journey and could be the most scenic train ride in Europe. Billed as Europe's slowest express, its a narrow-gauge train which takes 7½ hours to cover just over 290 km, at an average of around 24 mph, across 291 bridges, through 91 tunnels and across the Oberalp Pass on the highest point at 2,033 m in altitude. Spectacular Swiss mountain scenery unfolds outside the train's massive panoramic sightseeing windows while lunch accompanied by crisp Swiss white wine is being served.

Sounds great ya??

Photobucket

The train.

Photobucket

Huge windows to ensure a panaromic view.

Photobucket

Seats with automatic audio information guide as the train travel through the mountains.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Place to hang clothes.

Photobucket

Here we go. WOOOOOOOOHHHHH~~~~~~

Photobucket

Photobucket

Come.. Lets hop on the Glacier Express together.



Couple enjoying each other company.

Photobucket

Views along the way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoying my Swiss Chocolate in the Swiss Mountains.

Photobucket

More views.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Writing my dairy.

Photobucket

Whenever you see number appearing on the LCD screen, it means that there is an audio guide going on.

Photobucket

Waiter in the train.

Photobucket

More views.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Everything was so bright and white. Now I know what is called snowblind. Must wear shades.

Photobucket

No wonder they keep up to the standard.

Photobucket

More spectacular views.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In my opnion, the Glacier Express is one kind of an experience and it is best to be enjoyed with your the other half. Dining, wine, Great View in the Swiss mountains. What more can you ask for? Everyone here are in pairs. This made me felt lonely. (When will my the other half appear in my life?!) Thought started running though my mind again. I began to have mix feeling. Oh well, I want to come back on this ride with my her in future!

The Glacier Express terminates at Zermatt, a very nice skiing area but I only have about an hour here before my next train comes (I am going to Geneva) and so I took this chance to walk around. Very nice place. Definitely will come back here again one day.

Pictures taken in Zermatt. Everyone's skiing!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kids at Ice Hockey.

Photobucket

Photobucket

OMG!! Is this what I think it is?

Photobucket

Remeber this place, Zermatt. I dont wish to leave but my train's leaving. So sad.

Photobucket

Leaving Zermatt, I took the train to Geneva. Met up with my host, she cooked dinner for me (so nice of her) and than we went out for some drinks.

Photobucket


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

5 Comments:

Blogger Yenny said...

叮咚~留言到~

哈哈哈哈哈,你那最糟糕的一夜,
就是你之前跟我提過的那一夜啊~
雖然很狼狽,但你也還是熬過來了啊~
現在還可以對別人津津樂道,
你那痛苦的一夜也不算是白過。

那些風景好像都是從明信片里蹦出來的一樣,
好漂亮~

那火車,待我找到我的另一半,
我也要去坐坐看~~~

**地上那些...是血跡嗎?~_~

10:11 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

yeah, every bad incidents will eventually turned out to be a good story. People just love hearing about negative encounters dont they?

Yup, the views were indeed very stunning. And Yes, its worth going on the ride with your beloved ones.

I also thought it was blood, but it turned out to be juices. :P

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Ben said...

On the contrary, the lower you go into the basement, the colder it gets. this is because cold air sinks! the best place to be is always ground floor, sheltered of course.. :)

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Ben said...

Oh ya, beautiful place... i must go there someday too!

8:58 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

Yup, i did think of that... but still, it feel warmer at first so i still went down.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home