Thursday, January 08, 2009

Day 57: Back to Karakol

Woke up in the morning and took a walk in the surrounding again. Saw an empty Krygyz Yurt and so I went in to take a look. I am so looking forwad to stay ovenight in one of these yurts but I cant do it now as I was told that it is too cold to do so now. SAD.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I spent the rest of the morning learning how to play black gammon with Anerbek, one of the krygyz guy. Learnt a few version: Orginal, krygyz (long and short way) and the american.

More pictures taken here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really felt like i am living back in time here. Yesterday we were cutting down trees for firewoods for cooking and for making fire keep ourselves warm, today we had to go to the river to fetch water as we were running out of water. It was a good experience.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had waited the whole day for my guide to return to the resthouse as he told me that I could do a horse trek down the mountains. I would really love to try that as horses are part of the krygyz life. I want to experience it myself. But after a half day of waiting, I did not see him and so I decided to leave the mountains with the 2 krygyz trekkers. If I were to make my way dwon myself, I am definately not going to make it. Confirm "HOLLAND" (it means lose my way in singapore slang).

Pictures taken on the way down.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The way down was quite ok. Not as tiring as on the way up. Walking in snow is easy but walking on melted snow, especially those that had turned into ice were difficult as it is very slippery.

Then while making my way down, my stupid bought-in-china daypack torn. First was just one of the sling, so I sidesling. Then the other also torn. I had to carry it on my shoulders all the way down. So tiring. But thank god The krygyz guys offer to help me by tying my bag to their bag. I offered to carry both the bags but they say it is ok. Not heavy for them as they are so used to it. They are hiking guides and so they always bring trekkers up the mountains. Used to it already.

They told me that these paths ever created by avalanche. They told me that if I ever got caught in one, all I have to do is to keep swimming upwards to avoid getting buried by the snow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then back the the guesthouse in Karakol, I saw my guide. He said that he thought that I wanted to come back down tomorrow and so he did not came for me today. Took some photos with him and his machines before I left the guest house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That night, Anerbek, one of the krygyz guys invited me over to his house to be his guest. I accepted it without thinking. It would be great to stay with a local as I can experience the local culture and lifestyle firsthand. Ofcourse I am going.


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home