Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 47: Back On The Saddles

I am going to the mountains on an ATV today. Feeling so excited. Although this is not my first time on an ATV but it is my first long distance mountain ATV ride. On the way to get the ATV. Can see the mountains from far. Snow!!

Photobucket

At the place where the ATVs are kept. A quiet little town.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally we got the ATV and we headed towards the Tian Shan mountains. I felt so great to be back on the saddles. Nice off roads and great sceneries. Love this place. These are some pictures taken at our first stop.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Just as we were enjoying the great view, some cyclists came up the mountains with there bicycles. Woah! As always, well respected by me.

Photobucket

After a short break here, we carried on riding till we reached the Big Almaty Lake. It was very beautiful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a video of this beautiful lake.



I almost did not want to leave this lake but ofcourse I cant. So again, we went off riding towards higher ground. This time, to one of the peak of the mountain. Along the way, we met a soldier who was walking his way up the mountains. Since he was on foot and we were on ATV, he immediately flagged us down asking if we can take him along up the mountains? Since I have an empty seat on my ATV, why not? I took him.

Then we realised that he was actually monitoring the weather here up in the mountains for his country. To thank us for giving him a lift, he invited us into his warm office/home. Here, you can see his working equipments.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And so we had our lunch in this warm little house. And we chatted. Upon knowing that I am from Singapore, he told me that there were 2 Singaporean girls here not too long ago, who were studying the local weather too.

Photobucket

And like all russians, Vodka is their all time favourite. He treated us to some Vodka. It was really a good feeling to drink shots of vodka in this cold weather. It kept us warm.

Photobucket

After getting warm enough, I decided to talk a walk outside to see the mountains; and also to left my footprints behind.

Photobucket

Some pictures taken around. Military trucks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soon we have to leave and we make our way down the mountains. Here are more photos taken along the way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is me crossing a stream.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A traditional Kazakh yurt

Photobucket

Soon the ride ended and I went back to my host's place immediately because I promised them that I will prepared something Asian(Singaporean) for dinner for them as a token of appreciation for hosting me. And to my surprise, they had invited their friends along to to try my cooking. I was so PAISEH!! I seldom cook (dont cook at home, only started cooking during travel) and I am only preparing something simple. I really panic for awhile as I am worried that the food may not turn out well. I had to prepare a dinner for 7 person.

*crossed my fingers*

***********************
********************
******************
****************
*************
**********
*******
*****
****
***
**
*
*
*

Luckily everything went well.


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, loh, this seemed like a day from heaven. The Stans must be beautifull! Tell us all about it soon......
Greetz,
Maarten

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Lonely Lifeless Girl said...

The sunset casting over the Mountains is so beautiful...

Feels like singing a song - "Under the moonlight by Cagnet"

5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember)) shot fun trip))

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home