Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 113: The Greatest Trust Ever

Date: 23 DEC 2008

I arrived in Rovaniemi in the morning. The is the furthest up north that I had ever been in my life. I am now very very close to the polar circle, also known as, the artic circle. The sun seldom comes above the horizon here in winter. At about 9.30am, the sky was still as dark as midnight and I have only got a few hours of daylight per day for now. It was a very strange but interesting feeling.

Anyway, I have got the greatest trust that I ever have gotten in my life from a stranger here in Finland. As you all know, I have been staying with local hosts in each country that I visited. But here in Finland, it was so difficult to find a host. Reason being, Xmas is just round the corner and most finnish were either travelling themsleves or they just want to spend time with their family. Either or, they were not hosting.

So I had a hard time looking for a host and I never found one till one day piror to my arrival. I was lucky. Really lucky. What I did was I went to a forum and I posted a thread saying something like I haven found a place to stay yet and I would be very grateful if anyone would take me in.

Then this girl replied me saying that she is willing to help me. However, she was not in Finland but what she can do is that she will POST HER KEYS BACK TO FINLAND for me. She gave me her address and all I have to do is to go to the post office to pick up her keys, follow the address and I have her apartment all to myself. And she said I can stay there as long as I needed. And when I am done, I just need to give her friend a call and then pass her keys to her friend. WOAH!!! THATS REALLY AMAZING ISNT IT? She totally trusted me with her apartment. It was the greatest gift That I have ever gotten. I was so happy!! I hereby thank her for that!!

Anni, if you are reading this, ONCE AGAIN, I THANK YOU!!

After I had settle down in her apartment, I went walking around the city center and at the same time, hunting for a camera. Yes, I have decided to get a new camera. I cant blog without a camera, can I? And most importantly, I cant disappoint all of my readers. *Chuckles* And thats you!!

So thats it, I went to the city, got my camera and went back to the apartment. This is the first shot I taken with my camera. A view of her apartment. It was a test shot.

Photobucket

If any of you guys still dont believe that a stranger will totally trust her apartment to another stranger with just an exchange of a couple of emails via the internet, I am telling you it is true! This is the envolope that comes with the apartment keys. Welcome to the world of backpackers!! In couchsurfing, we trust!

Photobucket

Anyway, since I am so far up north, the temperature was ofcourse very low. It was -7 degree celcius and so I did a little preparation to keep myself warm. I added the wool insoles which I have gotten in Krygyzstan to my boots.

Photobucket

I also tried the Rye Bread (black bread) today. And oh, Santa claus was being sent off today from his village. he was off delivering Xmas presents to children all over the world. I did not went for his sent off but it was quite an event, They even boardcasted it live over the internet. Check it out HERE. And HERE was my seasons greeting to all of you at that time.

I just cant wait to visit the Santa Claus Village myself tomorrow. :)

*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home