Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day 98 & 99: Vilnius

Day 98
Date: 8 DEC 2008.


3am: Went to bed.
5.30am: Woke up.
6.45am: Reached train station and bought a train ticket.
7.20am: Boarded train and am on my way to Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania.

I met a fellow traveler from UK who was also heading towards Vilnius. Great! At least now I have a company for the next 12hours train ride.

Photobucket

Space on train for carrying bicycle.

Photobucket

And so I made my way to Vilnius.


Day 99
Date: 9 DEC 2008


Vilnius is not a very big place and so I managed to see everything I wanted to in a day. The old town, the new town etc etc. So this was where I began my visit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I then slowly made my way towards the east of Gediminas Hill to see the Three Crosses which stand high up on Three Crosses Hill. These crosses stood here since 17th century in memory of 3 monks who were crucified on this spot.

Photobucket

I then went down the hill and I came across a Jewish Spot.

Photobucket

Afterwhich, I made my way across Vilnia River into Uzupis district and without realising it, I actually crossed a border accidentally!!! SHIT!! OH MY GOD!! Why? Cause this district of Vilnius has actually declared itself as an INDEPENDENT REPUBLIC!!! Opps.. Since no one caught me, I shall sneak around, take some photos before finding my way out. *Swallow Saliva*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let's see whats its constitution says. Hmm... Interesting rules.

Photobucket

Photobucket

OK. Enough of photos, better get my way out of here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back into Vilnius, Lithuania, I passed by what I believe to be an abandoned church.

Photobucket

A country flag outside someone's home. Will never see anyone doing that in Singapore other than during national day. Quite sad.

Photobucket

Exploring more of Vilnius.

Photobucket

The Gate of Dawn.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lithuania is a GOOD FRIEND of USA.

Photobucket

Vilnius is a UNSECO and World Heritage Site.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Make way! Make Way! VVIP coming!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Visited a church.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soon night came and that's the end of my first day in Vilnius.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you asked me what is my impression of Vilnius, the first thing that comes to my mind is EMPTY!! Empty it is. You look carefully at the photos I posted on this entry, you will realised that there are not many people around. The streets are very empty. Well at least to me I felt so. They must have a very small population. I will soon find out.

And oh... Thank God that nothing happened to me as I went across the border accidentally and even managed to make it back safely!! Want to know how did I managed to do that?

*Drum roll*

.........
......
.....
...
..
.
.
.




Cause that was actually an artist design. It was part of his or her (I don't know) work to create a country within a country. It was an art piece that was the size of a district! HAHA!! GOTCHA!!!! But it seems real yah?


:P




*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home