Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 83: My First Snowboarding

As the train got nearer and nearer to Lviv, the snow got heavier and heavier.

Photobucket

And I got more and more hungry. Took a look in my bag to see what food do I have got left. Was surprise to find a chocolate bar which I bought from China months ago!!!

Photobucket

The snow did not stop even when I got to Lviv but that did not stop the kids for coming out to play. Apparently, that was the first snow of the year. I did not why but I seems to bring the first snow with me. Everywhere I go , they will be tellig me that it was the first snow of the year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hopped on a public bus which gets me to my next host's place. Along the way, the bus passes through the city center and on the first sight, I told myself that I am going to like this place.

This is Orest, my host in Lviv. Since this is the first snow of the year, how can we stay at home? He is going to snowboard and he is going to teach me how to do it. YEAH!! My first snowboarding experience. Preparation in progress.

Photobucket

And while he was doing that, I was enjoying the great view of the city from his apartment.

Photobucket

We were not going to any snowboarding area to do it. So it was FREE!! We were just heading to some park in the area to slide down some slope. Well, I think this is a good idea as it was my first time doing it, it would not be a waste of money. Along the way, Orest saw a slope, got so excited that he decided to do a little warm up. As you can see from the picture, trains were passing by as he was trying to snowboard down the train slope.

Photobucket

And since it was a year ago since he last done it. He fell. Well, I guess everyone need a little warm up.

Photobucket

Soon we got to a decent slope and he did his warmed up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also gave it a shot. Haha.. It was so difficult that I could hardly move at first. Then after a few rounds, we went to a more challenging place to do it. We were not the only one around. Many kids came out with their winter toys too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ok. Now its my turn to take up the challenge.

Photobucket

Ready to go.

Photobucket

Trying to find my balance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ouch!!!

Photobucket

Getting up.

Photobucket

Lets do it again.

Photobucket

Hey.. getting there.

Photobucket

Not bad sia.

Photobucket

Phew.. Luckily I am still in a piece.

Photobucket

Snowboarding can be tiring. Haha.. Here's a picture of we taking a break in between and having some natural water in solid form. Eating Snow. HAHA.. How does it taste? hmm.. Feels like eating Ice Kachang without any syrup. Oh my.. Speaking of that makes me miss SIngapore food. Oh.. One word of advice, never eat yellow snow. :P

Photobucket

Enough rest. Its time for the professional to show his skill.

Photobucket

There!!! Can you see that he jumped off from a slope? I actually captured him in midair!! Dont know if you can see it clearly from this picture.

Photobucket

Now, lets talk abit about Orest place. I like the way they built these buildings. All units have a clear view of the backyard. Why? So that parents can monitor their kids from home while the children enjoy themselves in the backyard. This reminds me of a scene in the movie Kungfu by Stephen chow where the Shi1 Zi3 Hou2 lives. Interesting concept.

Photobucket

View of the backyard from his apartment.

Photobucket

Then Orest brought me to a restuarant for dinner. He introduced me some Ukarinian dishes. I cant remember the name of this dish but it sure taste good. Its like cabbage but not. Its red in colour. Anyone knows?

Photobucket

After dinner. we walked around the city center alittle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we went to a very interesting pub. Most of the pubs here are underground. But Why is this particular one interesting? Because you need a password to enter this place. At the entrance, you knock the door. Then the person will say "Glory of Ukraine!" You must reply "To the new glory!" Then they will ask "Are there any Russians?" If no, then we may enter, but if so, the russians will be given a shot of vodka and in order to enter, we must finish that shot. Though we had no russian with us, we were also given the shot of vodka. Free drinks before entering? Why not? I drank it down happily.

Ukrainians are all very friendly people. It only took Orest a couple of minutes to make friends with some strangers and we ended up dinking together the whole night. We had lots of fun. They taught me the Ukrainian way of cheers which goes something like That. One person will shout "Vola!" then the rest will go "Hey!, then "Vola!" again then "Hey!" then "Vola Vola Vola!" "Hey Hey Hey!" I also taught them the Singaporean way of cheers "YUM SHENG" and we did it loud and clear. "YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! SHENG!!" 3 times of course.

We also had some horse meat with beer then we played arm wrestling. Haha.. Seems like they love to arm wrestle a lot in Ukraine. This was not the first time I was being challenged to arm wrestle. First was right hand. I lost immediately. Then it was left. Surprising, I could hold much longer on my left than I could on my right. But look at my face man, I was struggling. HAHAHA..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Whats the penalty? DRINK UP!!! Man I am thirsty am I not?

Photobucket

Photobucket

So what do you do after the beer parade? Pick up your rifle and don your helmet you damn soldier. Its time for war!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Orest had to go to school the following day and so he left early. But I stayed on to drink with these guys.

Photobucket

I only left the place when they closed. I was only in town for less than a day but surprising I managed to find my way back. However, I did not remember that I had taken the following 2 photos until I saw them on my camera the next morning. When did I take that? Too high to remember.

Photobucket

Photobucket


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://markonzo.edu leniency http://profiles.friendster.com/plavix#moreabout http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/Acyclovir consecrated http://www.ecometro.com/Community/members/ceftin-oral-tablet.aspx http://blog.tellurideskiresort.com/members/celexa-side-effects.aspx http://www.fiql.com/blogs/Nifedipine lydia http://profiles.friendster.com/premarin#moreabout http://www.projectopus.com/user/53177 belonging http://profiles.friendster.com/nolvadex#moreabout http://www.hothotheat.com/profiles/blogs/arimidex-side-effects-1 millionus dissatisfied

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home