Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Day 213 & 214: Red Light District, Amsterdam

Date: 2 April 2009

Clayton left for Manchester early in the morning and I made my way to Netherlands. Got onto a tram and made my way to the coach station for my coach. I always thought that trams are good as you will not end up in a traffic jam. However, I realised one of the down side of a tram today. The tram before mine broke down and as a result, all the trams that followed behind cant move. :( And guess what? This made me missed my bus and I had to get a new ticket. :(

Photobucket

I had to wait till afternoon for the next bus. There was nothing to do and nowhere to go. So I just sat in the train station (which is just above the bus station) and waited.

There was a lady sitting beside me, she was on the phone. At first I did not bother about her conversation but later she got my attention. She seems to have some issue that she was trying to resolve over the phone. Then she suddenly turned over to me and asked if I can speak French. Seems like she was having some real problems.

Then she hang up the phone and told me that she got chased out of a social house in Gent. They asked her to come to Brussels to complain but she cant seems to get in. Her baby is sick etc.. and she started crying. Poor baby, still running about not knowing what happen. Then her phone rang again and she started trying to solve the problem.

I soon realised that I only missed my bus and thats it. It was not so bad. This lady here does not even have a roof over her head. Looking at her and her baby, I felt sorry for them but I also dont know what I can do for them.

So in future, never despair. When you thought that you are in a bad situation, there is always someone worse than you. Thus always look on the bright side of life. I only miss my bus, thats it. Its no big deal. There are more unfortunate people out there than me.

Hours passed, I got onto my coach and finally arrived in Amsterdam, Netherlands. As usual, whenever i got to a new place, I would go and look for a map. It was quite sad that most places in Europe would give away free city maps but here in Amsterdam, they dont. And the worse thing is, I cant find a proper map but there were tons of GAY MAPS around. hmmm..???? Ofcourse this is not for me!!!

Photobucket

My host in Amsterdam was Swie Han, Sabrina's friend whom I met in Brussels few days back. As I had to wait for him to knock off, I wondered around town.

I saw this very interesting equipment which if the Singapore Traffic Police gets it, many bikers will complain. Not that the bikes in Singapore are emitting lots of black smoke or what so ever, but Singaporeans just love to complain. :P It is a mobile pollution detector.

Photobucket


Date: 3 April 2009

Swie Han was a good host. Before he left for work, he went to duplicate a set of his house key for me so that i can come in and out whenever I want. I then went to get a Netherlands sim card. It comes in a very interesting packaging.

Photobucket

Swie Han also lent me his bicycle. Hey, I am in Netherlands, how can I not cycle? There are more bicycles here than the number of Dutch. Everyone cycles here. So I shall do like the locals. So, off I went on the bicycle to explore the city.

Amsterdam is a city full of canals and it is so beautiful. And since it is spring. everyone is out enjoying the sun! Yeah, finally, after a long and dark winter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Saw this at a flea market. I think this is the best pants to put on while riding. It is super reflecting. See my effect with my flash on it. Confirm will be seen by other road users.

Photobucket

After awhile, I got into the infamous red light district of Amsterdam where there are loads of sex and drugs stores. For those who dont know, drugs are legal here. Coffeeshops are not place for coffee, they are places where u have have a puff. You know, weeds etc. You can also get magic mushrooms. (Back then, not anymore now)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well, this sin city will become more lively at night and so I shall show you more of it later. Meanwhile, back to the beauty of Amsterdam.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is Amsterdam's flag.

Photobucket

I saw this place on Amazing Race before and I was so amazed by it. It is a huge multi-story bicycle park. Finally got to see it for myself. Cant imgaine the number of bicycles here. Awesome!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They even have traffic lights for bicycles.

Photobucket

More pictures of Amsterdam.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This boat reminds me of my Glacier Express Ride in Switzerland.

Photobucket

It was kind of sad to see so many litters on the streets of such a beautiful city.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wouldn't it be nice to have a back door gives you direct access to your boat and swans swimming in your back yard?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunset.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And when the sunset, man made lights filled up this sin city!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Girls sitting in the windows, awaiting for customers. Once someone goes in, she will draw the curtain. No phototaking was allowed. I got scolded by one of those gangster when he saw me taking photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then at night, another couchsurfer invited me over to her place for dinner.

Photobucket

And these are the other couchsurfers she was hosting.

Photobucket

Photobucket


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home