Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 114: Santa Claus Village

Date: 24 DEC 2008

Its Xmas eve and where could be a better place to go to other than to pay a visit to the Santa Claus Village? And so I made my way there.

Photobucket

And I was greeted by a huge snowman upon my arrival. For your info, the Finnish built their snowman using 3 snowballs instead of the 2.

Photobucket

As I walked into the village, I saw more Snowman.

Photobucket

For your information, the Santa Claus village is located above the polar circle, also known as, the Artic circle. So what exactly is the arctic circle? Check it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And where is it? That dotted white line is the arctic circle.

Photobucket

Cool isn't it? Considering I made it so far away from home. Anyway, you might wonder what is the purpose of coming to the Santa Claus Village? Well to meet Santa Claus ofcourse. But as I got there early, the Santa Claus office was not yet open. So I went around taking some pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out the temperature.

Photobucket

His office is finally open!!

Photobucket

And there he is!!! I have met Santa on Xmas eve!!! YEAH!! This place brings out the child in everyone.

Photobucket

You will be surprise after meeting him because after he asked where you are from, he will talk to you in your language!! Leaving his office, I went to his post office when I sent a postcard with a special santa claus post ink!! This is the only place in the world to get that ink stamp!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Guess who else do I see here? When you have Santa, you will have the elves!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

WOH!! Do you know that you can send Santa claus a letter? See how many letters Santa had received so far? The number is massive!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

With so many letters, Santa have to do something about it right? How about helping the children?

Photobucket

More pictures taken in his post office.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ok, now that you know that I am very far up north away from home. But how far exactly? I am now 9493km away from Singapore!!

Photobucket

This place is a winter paradise. Just check out all the things you can do here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I met 2 Japaneses who were "dressed up" as santa claus.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out the Artic Nomads.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

How about a house built out of ice?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can go for a ride on a snow mobile,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or you can go on a Reindeer!! See how cute they are.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I did not go for any rides but did the 2 Japanese girls did.

Photobucket

Xmas World Road. What a nice road name.

Photobucket

More pictures taken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now that I have seen one of the Arctic Animal, how can I miss out the other one? So I went to see the husky!! They were so lovely.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then back to the arctic circle.

Photobucket

Here's the Lat and Long of it. The actual location of it.

Photobucket

This is where it is on the globe.

Photobucket

And thats me crossing the Arctic Circle. Yeah!!!

Photobucket

More pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really hope to see these Northern Lights.

Photobucket

After a long visit to the santa Village, I went back to Rovaniemi and took a walk around this small but lovely town.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Temperature is -4 centigrade

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I will definitely travel in a camper van one day.

Photobucket

On the way back home, I saw this lovely snow lamp.

Photobucket

Since it was Xmas, I decided to made myself a nice dinner.

Photobucket

And so I had my dinner with a beer while watching movies on my laptop.

Photobucket

I dont even need to put the beers in the fridge to chill them, I just need to leave them outside. The temperature is cold enough.

Photobucket

I then went for an international Xmas service in the local church. It was kind of interesting cause since it was an international service, it was being conducted in different languages. Just imagine, the same song being same in different languages at the same time. Anyway, on the way I passed by lots of houses and I realised that all houses have the same candle light.

Photobucket

Pictures taken before and after the service.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the Church.

Photobucket

After the service, on the way back.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Even though it was Xmas, I still felt lonely as I had to spend this festive of joy alone. Felt kind of sad though. I know I should not but I somehow do.



*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home