Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 7: Minorities Lifestyle

I begin my day early as this is going to be yet the longest ride. After checking out, I walked out to my bike and was surprise to see 2 little girls squatting by the roadside. What were they doing?

Photobucket

Oh... Brushing their teeth.

Photobucket

Yunnan is the land of mountains and although I am only at about 1000+++ meters above sea level, the roads are already misty early in the morning.

Photobucket

Riding in the mountains would mean that I would be rewarded with beautiful sceneries but this also projected some problems for me. I am on a 125cc motocycle and so I presumed that it would be underpowered for this terrian. Well, I will never know until I try right? And so I started the engine, put on my helmet and begin my ride into the highland. Just not long after I moved off, I begin to understand why this place is called Yunnan (The cloud of the south).

Photobucket

Photobucket

The first part of my ride revealed to me that I am right. This bike is really not that powerful for uphill. I am moving kind of slow. But the constant beautiful sceneries make the slow climb worth it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Riding through this reminds me of those Chinese ancient war movies where they lure the enemies in between the cliffs and start to throw rocks on them.

Photobucket

The second part of my ride was just as tiring. Although the roads are now straight, there are potholes everywhere and so I have to make sure that I avoid them. The good news is that I am now riding through villages and so I get to see their way of life firsthand. Here are some photos of the villagers I met on the streets.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I noticed that their houses were built from mud.

Photobucket

This little boy kept looking at me when I was trying to take a picture of the houses.

Photobucket

Dont care. I carried on taking more photos.

Photobucket

Opps.. Someone else spoted me. He seems to be quite fierce.

Photobucket

He walked over to me and looked at me from head to toe.

Photobucket

Ok, it's time to talk. I told him that I am here on a vacation and I was just talking photos of the houses as they were interesting to me. After knowing that I mean no harm, he puts on the biggest simle that I had ever seen.

Photobucket

After a short chat, I rode on.

Photobucket

The third part of my ride was the most toturing of the day. Not only was the road winding but it was also full of potholes. It took me many hours just to cover a short distance. However, this toturing segment brought me into an interesting local trading market. A place where the villagers gathered to trade wherver they have.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The roadside is their trading place and just take a look at what they have to trade. Snakes and?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A lady getting water from a roadside tap.

Photobucket

A young trader.

Photobucket

Other traders.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a tiring ride, a smile like this makes me feel that its all worth it.

Photobucket

I decided that I should stop for my first lunch in Yunnan. Wonder how does the food taste like here. Got myself a bowl of noodle. It was great.

Photobucket

Moving off again after lunch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There are landslides like this every now and then and so I have to be careful.

Photobucket

Also, there are no barriers around and so I have to be careful while avoiding all obstacles. If not, I might end up falling off the cliff.

Photobucket

Taking a break again.

Photobucket

Moving off again after the short break.

Photobucket

It seems to take forever to reach.

Photobucket

Just as I am starting to feel a little down, a sight like this brighten me up again. Its a RAINBOW!!!

Photobucket

Can you see it? Zooming in. Nice isn't it?

Photobucket

I am not well verse in agriculture. Can someone please tell me what are these for?

Photobucket

More views along the way.

Photobucket

After a long tiring and physical demanding 12hours ride, I finally reach ShiLin. It is a place of interest near Kunming. I checked into a youth hostel and had my dinner. Here are some of the Yunnan Snacks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am so exhasted.

*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kaiwen,

It's Mark from NP, I've stumbled across your site and I am surprised and elated to see that you've gone backpacking, just wanted to leave a note that I really enjoyed your blog as I can really relate to it. Alot of nostalgia flooded back in as I was reading it

I did the same thing last year, screwed my job and just went on a long lone journey scouring the earth and we took a similar route!! Nothing beats the feeling to be able to detach from this world once in awhile. Nothing else matters.

Catch up if you have time, my email is whitemagicmarker@gmail.com

Do take care and most importantly - safety. have a safe journey dude.
oh and nice 'hair' ;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

(Mark) nice to hear from you again

10:22 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I love the pictures of the farmers and villagers! It capture the right moments and their facial expressions.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Yenny said...

看那些農民(???)趕市集,
有種回到過去的感覺~

不知道為什么,
我喜歡你把機車停在路旁拍的風景照~ :)
感覺很棒~ :)

2:47 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

DEE>> i love those as well. I guess I was lucky to capture those moments.

YENNY>> I always love to include my bike in the photo when i go on road trips. :)

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Shana Lee said...

Hi Retro Frd "Edward",

Im impress even though its oni e day 7 of your trip..i'm already addicted to ur entries...e rainbow sight is so beautiful that i wish im there...anyway..will continue to get impress by you...hope all ur dreams come true =)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Phiyornah said...

Pictures in this entry are beautiful! Especially those with the old people and donkeys.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home