Monday, August 25, 2008

The World I Pursue




The ideal life of most Singaporeans would be to get a degree, find a job that pays well, earn big bucks, live in a condo and to drive a big luxury car. Indeed, our life have been so well pathed since young that we do not have much to worry about. Primary sch, Secondary sch, ITE/Poly/JC, Army(for guys), University and then work. Everything has been planned for. At least for the first 20 years or so of our lifes. Which is also about 1/4 of our lifespan.

Have you ever asked yourself this question: What is the world that you pursue?

For me, there is only one word to describe the world I pursue, FREEDOM. My world should be one full of freedom. That's my world, that's my dream. I also believe that I should live my life to the fullest and to live it without regert. As such, I dare to dream and I am there to fulfill my dreams. I dont only dream about my life but I live my dreams.

Travelling gives me a great feeling of freedom and I have always wanted to see more of this beautiful planet. As such, in order to pursue my world of freedom, I did something which most people would not have do so without thinking twice or even thrice. I had quited my job just to pursue my dreams. Nope, I did not find another better job, neither have I saved up enough money for me to live a very comfortable life. I do not have a backup plan. I just want to travel.

YOU ARE CRAZY!! That's what alot of people told me. Many of them do not believe that I do not have another better paying job waiting for me. Others say that I should get myself financially stable first and that travel should come later. Well, it's my life. Everyone have the right to choose how they want to live their life right? Yes, it is going to be an uncertain life living on the go. But do you know what will happen to you in the next few days or weeks? You also dont right? Life has always been full of uncertainities, so whats new?

I do not want to be just another HDB KID. I want to live an interesting life. I want to be able to tell my grandchildren interesting stories next time instead of telling them, "Oh, I should have done that."

Many times you will hear people saying, "Oh I always wanted to do that but I have no time" or "Oh how I wish I can do that too." Are you guilty of saying that also? No time? Really? Or not making time for it? I guess it all boils down to how much you carve for it and how much you want to do it. If you dont do things that you always wanted to do, if you dont do things that follows your heart, if you dont do things that makes you happy, then what for do you live? Live just to work as hard as a cow so that you can pay for your handphone bills, housing loan and car installments? Is that what you want to do?

(Below is qouted from a fellow blogger. Word for word, it totally depicts my entire thoughts and feelings.)

"
The World I Pursue?
I want to run to the end of the earth.
And back.
And to go around again once more.

Why does one live? I often question myself.

Subjective question, with more than one way to deliver those answers.

I want to live my life on the edge, the brink of fantasy and reality. To live the life few humans live and to go through things most people would deem impossible to achieve.

Yet I am only human, and there is so much one can achieve. It’s true when they say only sky is the limit, because human do have more potential and ability than we believe ourselves to have. And to stretch that ability only goes to prove our mere existence is no longer insignificant, no longer trivial.

I don’t come from a wealthy background, yet I believe there are certain aspects of life the wealthy will never understand nor experience. The same as I will never experience one of wealthy’s. Fair’s fair.

Freedom, to me is to wake up every single day, knowing I am in a new place, a new city, a new country; to sleep every single night, not knowing where I will be tomorrow, the next day, or the week after.

To sleep on the street, the airport, the train station, a park, on a boat; to stay awake going through lonely street, wandering through a lost city, meeting locals and falling in love with a stranger.

To meet great people, be friendly, go party, have a blast of a time of which memory would last me a life time, and part the next minute knowing I will never see them again.

To learn a new language, cook a new dish, dance a new step, play an odd instrument, study a ruin, listen to stories, acknowledge a history, visit a landmark, climb a mountain, rent a bicycle, smile to passersby, stroke a stray kitty, pat a dog, pick a flower and wave down a car.

To whip out a map, close my eyes, pin down a place, and to be on the train the next hour heading to that city/village pin-pointed. The joy knowing the world is yours to explore, and the excitement not knowing what’s to be installed for you the next day. The happiness people bring to you every single day, the wonder of new things you learn every single day, hour, minute.

With freedom comes sacrifices.

Youth? Wealth? Time? Commitment? Responsibility?

How much are you willing to let go? How much are you willing to give in?

How much, do you crave freedom?
"

So, here I am, soon to materialize my dreams and to live as freely as a bird; And as I embark on my COLD JOURNEY (that's what I name this grand trip of mine), what is the world that you pursue?

*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What i've just read was quite similar to what i was thinkin about traveling and this whole stuff.. i dunno if u remember what i've told u while discussing this when you stayed in our flat in Vilnius. well i guess i should congratulate you for your courage to start your Cold Journey and i wish you luck with it :) was a great experience to meet you, i hope i will have a chance to see Singapore one day and who knows maybe we will meet once again :) Best wishes
Dovile (Vilnius)

6:28 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

I would definitely love to see you one day in Singapore!!!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Stanley said...

Hey Bro! I comment you on your resolve and dare to purse freedom something i do not have at the moment. Always remember though that you have people and home in Singapore waiting for you to come back.
Cheers and Enjoy!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheerssss for you mate. . . You've done something and embark on a remarkable journey where most of SG guys has thought of but never have the courage to do it for whatever reason. . . . Stay 'Free' , Fly higher and futher. Your life will be filled with memorable images in your quest for freedom. . . . . Phoon

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home