Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 10: The Bai Minority

Today is the first day that does not invlove any riding. I am going to spend the whole day exploring the Dali Old Town and its surrounding area. Dali Old Town is a fairly easy place to explore. The streets are neatly laid out running perpendicular to each other and it is not a easy place to get lost. Here are some photos taken from the streets.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This place is the home to the Bai Minority and so I have to try the Bai food. Got one for breakfast.

Photobucket

In the midst of the crowd, I spotted one chinese muslim. I thought it is quite uncommon to see a chinese muslim here as most of them are all in XinJiang province.

Photobucket

The Bai Minority love tea very much and this is their speciality, The three course tea of the Bai.

Photobucket

Within these streets lies a foreigners' street, where you can find many foreingers, and ofcourse bars, which are catered for them.

Photobucket

I went to the post office to post something back home as my dad collects stamps. In the picture, you will see the mail box, the glue for you to seal up whatever you need, and water for your to stick the stamps. I find the glue pretty interesting as a wooden stick is provided. Very classic.

Photobucket

Mid autum festival, also known as Mooncake festival is just round the corner. But the mooncake here in this part of china is kind of different from what we have in Singapore. Their version is so much bigger. They call it Da4 Tuan2 Yuan2 Bing3.

Photobucket

As you know that the big game is in town, so you will see these everywhere. And I really mean everywhere.

Photobucket

Local Market.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Just as I was wondering around, I saw a church. One that I had never seen before. A church in the form of an ancient chinese building.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then it begin to rain but the locals are still out in the rain trying to make a living.

Photobucket

After spending enough time in the old town, I headed out to the nearby Er2 Hai3 Hu2 (Er Hai Lake) for a little exploration. At the port, I saw some interesting food.

You know what is this

Photobucket

BBQ frog

Photobucket

How about this? BBQ Dragonfly.

Photobucket

BBQ Chicken, I think.

Photobucket

This was what I bought.

Photobucket

It was really fustrating as I waited for more than an hour for the ferry to move. They wanted to wait for more passengers so that they wont be making a loss. But after the long wait, it is still me and 2 other passengers.

Photobucket

While waiting, I tried the dragonfly!!!

Photobucket

Finally we lefted the dock.

Photobucket

First stop, a small fishing village.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The temple there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

People playing Mahjong.

Photobucket

Then we went back to the ferry and went to another temple which is much more interesting.

Photobucket

Good view of the lake from here.

Photobucket

Peeking at the lake.

Photobucket

More photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

People Chanting.

Photobucket

Nice bag for carrying the baby.

Photobucket

While walking down the tower, I saw some people.

Photobucket

One was writing something,

Photobucket

The others were eating. They asked me to join them. It was kind of them. I kindly rejected.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Those who know me knows that I have a weak stomach. I woke up this morning feeling alittle unwell on my stomach. Now I felt much worse. Must be the BBQ dragonfly. I had no choice but to rush to the toilet, which is yet another kind of experience. No doors. People who comes in can see me squating there and I can see people peeing in front of me. Just imgaine, I am squating and they are standing. The height is just right. How nice.

Anyway, after my toilet rush, the ferry brought me back to shore. Then I went to see the famous Three Pagodas which is printed on many postcards.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I went to visit a place called XiZhou where I had a great experience of the Bai culture. This is a MUST visit place if you are in Dali.

Me on the newly wed bed.

Photobucket

Hang above the door to ward off the evil spirits.

Photobucket

In the living room.

Photobucket

Hand dye. The pattern you see on the cloths behind are done this way. First the cloth are sewed together by hand. Then the whole cloth is being soak in the dye. When it is dired, the sewed part are being undone and the pattern is formed. It requires fine skills.

Photobucket

Tea tasting, namely, Feng1, Hua1, Xue3, Yue4.

Photobucket

The white substances on the tea leaves are formed by snow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then its time for a performance to introduce the Bai culture to us. Different Bai Costumes.

Photobucket

Dances.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More tea sampling. The Bai always treat their guests with teas. These teas are nice.

Photobucket

Tasting the tea.

Photobucket

I love it.

Photobucket

I like this dance. It about how the local guys go after the local girls.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This dance is very entertaining. It is about how the local wedding is done. They pinch the bride and groom. Its mean good luck for them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that I took the cable car,

Photobucket

to this place,

Photobucket

which had a even better view of the lake.

Photobucket

But my main purpose is to visit the Tian1 Long2 Cave. This is the place where the show Tian1 Long2 Ba1 Bu1 was flimed.

Photobucket

Entering the cave.

Photobucket

Water from here flows out of the cave. Reminds me of those ancient chinese shows where people who got trapped in caves always escape through a secert water pathway.

Photobucket

This is a wishing place as the shaped is in the form of a heart.

Photobucket

Evidence that the show was flimed here.

Photobucket

More pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This long flight of stairs is refered to as the stairs to heaven.

Photobucket

Photobucket

At the top, there is a laughing buddha. You are suspose to go up the stairs without looking back, and when you reach the top, you are to give 3 loud HA HA HA. Then you will be blessed.

Photobucket

After which I went to visit a garden nearby.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And yet another temple.

Photobucket

Then, I went back to the old town to see the night view. Was surprise to find a mosque here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Time for dinner, again I tired the local speciality.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dali Old Town at night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Saw a shop that sells only matches. Interesting.

Photobucket

Saw this in the shop. Quite meaningful.

Photobucket

Then I saw many people watching movie in the open.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A 1959 movie.

Photobucket

Up the city walls.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright, thats all for today. :)



*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro! Looking good. Hope you're well. Keep up the log. Heading to TW next week. Will be finding a bike so I can ride up and down Hualien area and Taroko lodge. -Deux

12:59 PM  
Blogger Yenny said...

沒想到有“中國式”的天主教堂...
感覺上很奇怪,格格不入。

烤蜻蜓?!
受不了~ 如果是我,應該...
只能勉強吞下一只吧...

那幾句話很有意思,
但我們還是忍不住去追求幸福啊
哈哈哈哈哈哈哈哈

3:54 PM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

DEUX>> enjoy your ride bro.. hope u find my info useful.

YENNY>> yup the church and the mosque just look out of the place to me.. I am just now used to seeing it in chinese style....

I LS lor after eating the dragonfly...

I like the qoute as well

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home