Thursday, October 08, 2009

Day 195: Big Carnival

Date: 15 MARCH 2009

Woke up today feeling very sad. Why? Because I am already more than half way through my stay in Dublin and soon we will all go our own way. Although today is only my 6th day in Dublin, I had already made lots of friends. Believe it or not, I felt as though I had stayed here for ages. While walking alone on the streets, I bumped into many people whom I had met throughout the past few nights and I was saying Hi to all of them. That feeling is great!! It was as though I was walking along Orchard and bumping into friends. But soon, all these will come to an end....

Well, that aside, there is a huge carnival opening today at Merion Square prior to St Patrick's Day. How can I missed it? I am so going there.

The atmosphere for the festival was already building up. Lots of people were already performing on the streets. The moment I got into the city center, I saw a band playing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then people were dancing along to the music as well. The old man just anyhow pulled a young girl out from the crowd and they started dancing!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

People were also dressed up even though Paddy's Day still 2 days away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A large and beautiful painting done by a street painter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was just strolling along the streets, soaking in the atmosphere. Then not far away, there is another band playing. A different kind of band though. Kind of interesting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

People were also dancing to the beat.

Photobucket

By this time of the day I realised that I love doing street photography, capturing the moment!

Photobucket

Photobucket

So I decided to try out my novice skills. First time handling a DSLR camera, I hope I still frame my shots well till now.

A very green way to see the Dublin city.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Arriving at Merion Square Carnival. Lots of people were already here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright, its time to capture the moments!! My targets, children. I think they are all very cute and should be good subjects. I saw some children happily drawing away on the floor. I quickly walked towards them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some were drawing alone, while some had the company of their parents.

Photobucket

I wonder if this girl was drawing or eating the paint?

Photobucket

She must be the supervisor!!!

Photobucket

This kid must have gotten tired after painting.

Photobucket

And so he decided to take a break.

Photobucket

Oops... He caught me shooting him!

Photobucket

The guys behind the scene.

Photobucket

There were lots of other activities going on.

Photobucket

How about sweating it all out by cycling to move the fan so that it will cool you down? So.... whats the point? heehee...

Photobucket

One of my favourite activities was this show put up by this guy. He was so damn good. Everyone, both young and old, were laughing their teeth off. Trust me. He is either as good as or even better than Jim Carrey.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was interesting to see that lots of people were already dressed up for the event.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Even the dogs were dolled up for Paddy's Day.

Photobucket

You can give a go at the hip hop dance,

Photobucket

or the traditional Irish dance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or if you have the guts, go for this!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If not, just sit back, relax and watch a game of fools balls by these kids.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But the sound from this Brazilian band, Mu lek Etu, who was playing Samba music caught my attention!! And I ended up making an photo album for them. I tried my best to capture their individual expression!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Their music was really very good. I love it alot. However, as I am on a budget, I could not afford to buy one CD from them.

Photobucket

The name of this band. Then I got to know that it was not the first time they performed in the St Patrick's Day in Dublin. They performed in many other countries as well. Quite famous eh!!

Photobucket

She is very dynamic!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am so going to go to Brazil!! HAha...

Want a change of music? How about a DJ spinning in a van?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Robots never fails to get the attentions of children.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This carnival was filled aith so many activities that I spent the whole day there. Soon nightfell and I went around Dublin city taking some night shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then it was back to the usual meeting place to meet some of my new found friends whom I had been meeting up with for the past few days,

Photobucket

before heading off to another pub to catch some traditional Irish tap dance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we went off to the nightly CS meet up for yet another night of fun!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was kind of interesting that even though all of us have been meeting up every night, people still get confused between me and Andrew. You see, we are the only 2 Asian Guys around and I dont think I look the least like him and vice versa. However, he has got lots of people going up to him calling him LOH (I am known as Loh) even though he has his name Andrew written on his tshirt. So, in order not to be mistaken as me, he wrote NOT LOH on his name tag instead. Wahahaha..

Photobucket

Somehow, that became a trend and people started writing NOT LOH on their name tags as well!!

Photobucket

And by the end of the night, it evloved into STILL NOT LOH. haha...

Photobucket

Rory, the guy who made all these wonderful CS events happen. He is the man of CS dublin!!

Photobucket

Have you ever wonder why people still drink beer even if it taste bitter and even it gives them an awful spinning headache if overconsume? Cause it has been helping ugly people have sex since 1862!!! hahahaha...

Photobucket

*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home