Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Day 190: Introduction to Dublin

Date: 10 MARCH 2009

The flight from Manchester to Dublin was not too long and I managed to get my feet onto the streets of Dublin by noon. Gave my new host a call to see find out what time can I go over to her place. Ring... Ring ring.... Ring ring ring.... Hmm.... She never pick up.. Oh well.. Its ok. Maybe she is busy. I shall call her again later. Meanwhile I took a walk around the city center.

The first thing I saw which I recognised was the SPIRE. The Spire of Dublin, officially titled the Monument of Light(Irish: An Túr Solais) is a large, stainless steel, pin-like monument 120 metres (390 ft) in height, located on the site of the former Nelson's Pillar on O'Connell Street in Dublin. The spire is an elongated cone of diameter 3 m (9.8 ft) at the base, narrowing to 15 cm (5.9 in) at the top. It is the world's tallest sculpture.

According to what the locals told me, the Spire was suppose to be built to welcome the millenium but did not completed on time. What a joke yeah? And guess what the local call this Spire? "The stiffy at the Liffey" and "The great erection at the intersection". Tourist often refers to it as the huge Needle. Indeed, it does looks like a great needle. And the locals even joke abotu it saying, "Oh, this was built for the drug addicts." Haha.. The chinese living in Dublin call it Jing1 Gu1 Bang4 (The weapon of Sun WuKong). :)

Photobucket

I saw a long of buskers along the street but this one caught my attention. From far he seems like a real statue.

Photobucket

It was only when he moves then I realised that he was not!

Photobucket

Some other pictures taken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Irish cream. Baileys!! This signboard has been up here for tens of years.

Photobucket

Alot of the stores here have already gotten ready for St Patrick's Day. Also known as Paddy's Day. It is the biggest festival of the year. It was what brought me to Dublin. Cant wait for it to happen.

Photobucket

I ended up by the Liffey River by evening time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Guess its time to call my host again. After a few tires, she finally picked up. She told me that she will be in school till late and that I should call her back again later in the night. Oh ok. So its time for me to wonder around again.

I went to Temple's Street to take a look. This place is famous for its tons of bars.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heineken Building.

Photobucket

Oh well, after walking around for the whole day, I was kind of tired already. Can't think of anywhere else to take a rest, I went back to Liffey River. Sat there, tried calling my host again. Hmm.. not picking up again. Suddenly I have the same feeling which I had for my Southern Taiwan Motorcycle Trip I also had some trouble contacting my host at that time and I also ended up sitting along the river (known as the love river) alone at night.
A few hour passed, still no reply from her. Hmm... So tired already!! Nevermind. To wake myself up, I went to take some night shoot around liffey river. If by the time I finish my shoot and she haven call me back, than I shall go and find a hostel for the night.

Liffey River at night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Ha'penny bridge, Officially known as the Liffey Bridge, is a pedestrian bridge built in 1816.

Before the Ha'penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a ha'penny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years. Thus the name was born.

In 2001 the number of pedestrians using the bridge on a daily basis was 27,000

Photobucket

Ok. Till now she haven call me yet. I shall give her one last call. Hmm.. Still no answer. Okok. One more last call.. (Trying my luck). Ring.. ring ring... Ringringring... Hello?.... YES!!!!

She told me that she just got home after her classes and gave me directions to her place. :)

I took the metro (known as DART in dublin) over and at the station, I met a mauritius girl who helped me with getting my tickets.

Everything worked out well in the end.

*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home