Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 35: Hanging Around

Basically did nothing much today. Just hanging around waiting for time to pass. Hmm.... I think I did mentioned before that I prefer to use a map rather than a GPS while riding. It gives me a more adventerous feeling. Well, this is the map that I used. Very informative if you can read Chinese. It was a gift from Brice when I left ZhuHai about a month ago and now, since that I do not need it anymore, I gave it away as a gift to the guy who treated me breakfast yesterday morning. He can make full use of it.

Photobucket

Went out to the train station again to try and get a ticket into Kazakhstan. While waiting for the bus, I saw a flag raising ceremony taking place infront of the telecom. Every staffs were standing at attention and singing the national anthem of China. WOOH!! Can you imgaine if your boss demands that every morning when you go to work?

Photobucket

Photobucket

As like in the streets, Russian wordings can be seen as many people from Kazakhstan and Russian comes here. I should say that Urumqi is a very mix place.

Photobucket

After getting my tickets, I went walking around the streets, went for a massage etc.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some photos of the people here. Can you see how different are they from the normal chinese that we are familiar with?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also went to the bank so that I can change some money into Kazakhstan currency but was told by the bank that I can only get their currency in Kazakhstan itself as noone else outside Kazakhstan carries Kazakhstan currency. Ok, I think I can understand why.

Just as I was about to leave the bank counter, the staff actually directed me to some guys who seems to be just standing around. Who are they? Guess what? I was so surprise that blackmarket moneychangers are actually "working" in the bank as well. "You want kazakhstan money? Follow me.", thats what he told me. But I did not want to get it from him and so I walked away.

Photobucket

I was susposed to meet my host here today but it did not realised and so I went back to my hostel instead. Along the way, I saw a very famaliar sign.

Photobucket

Back at the hostel, I rested for awhile more,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before I proceeded for my train into Kazakhstan, this is my ticket. The ticket into the second leg of The Cold Journey, the ticket to Eurasia, the ticket to the stans. Goodbye China, Kazakhstan, here I come!!!!

Photobucket

Summary of the first leg of The Cold Journey,

Total number of days spent in China: 35 days

I rode through:
- 2 differnt time zones (Urumqi is 2 hours behind GuangDong and also Singapore).
- 7 provinces in China
- 8000 over kilometers
- High mountains and low depression
- Desert and Snow

Damages/Repairs done on motorcycle:
- 3 chains
- 2 front tyre puncture
- 1 rear tyre puncture
- 1 set of new inner tubes
- 1 set of new tyres
- 1 set of new mirrors
- 1 new kick starter
- 1 new speedometer cable
- lost count of engine oil changes
- number plate fixed
- Hand warmer

Money spent on: Food, drinks, accommodation, entrance fees to sights, buying of motorcycle, petrol, motorcycle repair and camera repair.

Things that I bought: A new Handphone, backpack, gloves, Olympics stamps, a pair of pants, a windbreaker and onwards ticket to Kazakhstan.

Now for the final review!!!!!

TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT: $2200 Singapore dollars!!!

Thats not alot isn't it? Well, I would said money well spent and its worth it!!!!!

What I had learnt during this first leg:
- Understand why some eldery Singaporean had certain habits and behaved in some ways.
- How landscape differs people's culture, lifestyle, behaviour, religon etc.
- To be more indepandant and built up my determination.
- How the government can affect one's mindset.
- Why do chinese behaves the way they do.
- Different people, different aspiration and wants different lifestyle
- Most important of all, I learnt that LIFE IS GREAT!!!

I noticed that as I moved overland, people faces changes just like cultures and religions change.

读千本书,不如行万里路。

Again, LIFE IS SO GREAT!!!!

Then in the train, I shared a cabin with a Chinese who can speak Russian, a Japanese and a Kazakh. I am so looking forward to be in Kazakhstan. It will be a whole new world to me and a whole new experience too.

Carry on to follow my blog as I moved into the second leg of The Cold Journey.

See you in KAZAKHSTAN!!!!



*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiawen,

I'm happy that you completed your part 1 of your cold journey. It must be an enriching experience for you. How i wish i could join u from the start. Well, there is always the next time rite? Stay safe and enjoy. :)

Henry

3:17 PM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

(HENRY) Thanks dude!!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Nana said...

Woo Hooo...

Finally finish your 1st leg stories...Left alot of beautiful memories & heavy feeling on it even though im not there...Have gather my feelings & is ready for your 2nd leg journey...

Yeah...Let's go...

2:42 PM  
Blogger Johnsy said...

You write in a way that puts people in your shoes. Very inspirational story, can' t wait to read every bit of your travels. BTW i just bought a ticket to Thailand to do a very similar trip through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, China, Tibet, Mongolia, Russia etc. Maybe I will see you on the road ;-)

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home