Sunday, November 02, 2008

Day 28: Defense In Depth

Went back to the camera shop in the morning. No, not because my camera is down again but because the boss wanted me to. After the conversation with the boss (his name is Jing1 Long2) yesterday, he told me that he has some ancient chinese coins for me. It was really nice of him to give me gifts. Too bad I do not have Singapore coins with me. If not I can also give him something in return. So I ended up showing him the Japanese coin and the Israel coin which fellow travellers gave me. I gave away the Japanese coin as I have more of it at home. I also showed them the Japanese Ping2 An1 Fu2 which was given to me by Ryosuke. The shop attendance thought that I wanted to give it to her and so I did.

JingLong and his shop attendance.

Photobucket

JingLong and me.

Photobucket

Wang Ying and me.

Photobucket

Then, I went back to JiaYuGuan fort for the third time and this time round, it was finally open and my camera was working prefectly fine. As I had already been here the day before, I already know what I want to capture on films and so I went around pretty smoothly.

Here are the pictures taken in the fort.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Like I had mentioned before, this fort plays an critical role in defending ancient China as it was the first fort that greets its enemies and also an entrance and exit into ancient China. As such, you can expect a large troop of army being deployed here. With soldiers around, ofcourse you also expect to find training grounds. This is the place where the soldiers train.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I gave a shot on the bows and arrows.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It wasnt easy. I missed the target.

Photobucket

More pictures taken in the fort.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Going pass here, I am now leaving ancient China and going into the desert. Beyond this point is the place where the ancient chineses believed that the barbarians lived. That was why this fort was built. It was also part of the reason which contributed to the building of the Great Wall in this part of China. To prevent attacks from them. The barbarians which they were refering to were people who lives in Central Asia.

Photobucket

Horse carriages often comes in and out through here in the past and as a result, you can see that the floor had dented.

Photobucket

Ancient door stopper.

Photobucket

I am now outside of ancient China.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is JiaYuGuan Fort.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This fort has been already for a very long time and what I had saw was the original fort with some restorations here and there. Here is a part of it without restoration work.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket.

Afterwhich I went to the see the first of the Great Wall which was a distance away from the fort. Along the way, I passed by some parts of the Great wall which was the orginal with no restoration works done. You can see that it has already been destoryed by weather.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the only remains of the first of the Great Wall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Chinese made use of natural barriers in additional to the Great Walls to defend ancient China.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Are you a dare devil? You can put your guts to test here by doing the flying fox over to the other side.

Photobucket

There is also a mock up of an ancient army base here. So in order to attack ancient china from here, you will have to pass through 3 line of denfense. First is the natural barrier, then you will have to face the army base camp and if you managed to defeat them, you will still have to come face to face with JiaYuGuan Fort and the Great Walls.

Here are the photos taken in the army base camp.

Photobucket

Commander's tent.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Subsidiary tents.

Photobucket

Photobucket

watch Tower

Photobucket

Photobucket

Prison van

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carriage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Drum Chariot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Shoving Chariot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sentry Tower.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blacksmith.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Other pictures taken here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A device used in the past to tell time. I think it is called a time dial. I am not sure about the name.

Photobucket

Its time for me to ride on again. Following the silk road, I am still riding in desert or semi-desert area.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then suddenly, a pool of water out of the blue seems so beautiful.

Photobucket

The part of the silk road in GanSu province is also known as the corridor. The wind here is quite strong and is very suitable for generating electricity. That is why this is the sight I see as I ride. Endless of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I stopped at YuMen for the night. Its dinner time again.

Photobucket


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home