Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day 16: Tibetians Tibetians TIBETIANS

Maybe it was after talking to her last night that now I woke up wishing I am home. We chatted about our family and stuff like that. Suddenly I miss the comfort of home. But I know it is not possible. I am now somewhere out there in the mountains with no airport within hundreds of kilometers. No trains, only buses and it would take 2-3days to get out from the mountains, and the fact that I am travelling by motorcycle, it will take even longer. This is the first time that I actually miss home while travelling. I have only been away for 16 days and I am surprised that I felt that way. So I gathered my feelings and started my ride of the day. Route of the day, riding from XiangCheng to Litang. While checking out, I saw a cute little baby playing with his granny.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There is a tibetian style mototrcycle parked right beside mine. All their motorcycles have similiar designs like this.

Photobucket

The same 6 golden words that you will see everywhere in the world of the tibetians. It is pronounce as "Hom Ma Ni Ma Ni Hom".

Photobucket

After riding for a few hours, I came across this very nice spot. I felt relax here and so I decided to take a break.

Photobucket

However, it was quite cold and the wind was quite strong then. So I had to cross my arms to keep myself warm while eating my bread. Then suddenly a man appeared from one of the houses and invited me to go into his house. Though we both speaks different languages but from my body language, he was able to tell that I feel cold and I was able to guess that he wants me to go into his house as it is warmer inside. And so he led me into his house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

His grandson and him.

Photobucket

His wife.

Photobucket

His wife setting up a fire.

Photobucket

And he treated me to a cup of traditional tibetian tea. In chinese, it is called Su1 Yu2 Char2. It is a kind of special tea found only in the highlands and it helps to keep warm and to prevent high alttitude sickness. Though there is a layer of ash floating in the tea, I still drank it happily.

Photobucket

The feeling is so good. I really felt warm having a cup of hot tea and sitting by the fire in this cold weather. Warm not only because of the fire but beacuse of the kind gesture from this tibetian family. They made me felt at home, giving me the warm of a family. This came at the right time especially as I was a little home sick earlier in the morning. Though we do not speak each others language, and we do not know each other at all, I felt really comfortable with them. There is only one phrase to describle my feeling now, " A world without strangers." Thats the wonder of travelling.

Their grandson is so cute that I can't stop taking pictures of him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In return for his kindness, I gave his grandson a toy to play and he enjoys it.

Photobucket


A look in his house. This is orginal, not made for tourist. I guess I was lucky enough to see it. Not many people have the chance.

Air vent for the smoke to escape.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sad to say that there is an end to everything and soon it was time for me to bid goodbye....

Photobucket

Crossing the stream on this wooden bridge and so I am back to my ride....

Photobucket

Taking a last look at them so that I can remember them for life....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Riding on, the view is awesome. The roads here are unlike those that I had ridden days ago. It is filled with big long bends instead of short sharp bends. This is what the road is like in the highlands.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then, at a junction, I saw a chinese biker who has already been riding around China for months. He just came from tibet and told me that I MUST go there. It will be a pity if I miss it. Riding into tibet is the ultimate experience, he said. He also told me that I look like of chinese nationality and I should be able to make it through. Damn it, he got me tempted again. Should I try? He also said that too bad he already been to those places that I want to ride to, if not he can ride with me. He has nothing to do anyway.

Photobucket

After thinking for awhile, I still think that I had to make my priorities right and so I decided to stick to my plan. Continued my ride to Litang, the scenery remains wonderful. Though not in tibet, I can still have a feel of the tibetians life. They are everywhere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A photograph with a photographer who is here just for the great pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You already know the meaning of this, dont you? If you dont, you are not paying enough attention to this blog. HAHA.

Photobucket

Really wonderful view.

Photobucket

Then suddenly I enter the land of rocks. There are rocks of different sizes everywhere. A vast piece of land with nothing but only rock. Very interesting. Riding through here feels great.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well, time for my signature shot. THATS ME FLYING!!!

Photobucket

Riding on again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More encounter with the tibetians.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am now almost 4700m above sea level. WOAH!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Vast piece of grassland with long straight roads that never seems to end. This is the road of highlands. The road is endless, ride it. I will go where ever the road leds me to. Have bike, will travel.

Photobucket

The road is so empty that I can do this.

Photobucket

The surroundings.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More yaks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hey look, it is raining over there. I think this is a nice sight. Quite fun yeah?

Photobucket

Photobucket

(minutes later) Oh ok. I think it is not fun. I did not expect that the road leads me into the raining area. I am now riding in the rain. Getting wet in this low temperature high alttitude vast peice of grassland, COLD!!! and when I ride, The wind gets stronger. EVEN COLDER!! BRRR......

Enduring through the rain, the sun shines again. I made it to Litang, a tibetian town. Here is a photo of a modern tibetian house.

Photobucket

Alittle bit about this place, there are many fake monks around asking for money. Well anyway, the ride into Litang is really awesome and with those magnificiant scenery, it is really wonderful and enjoyable. Man I love riding. Cheers to all fellow bikers out there touring around the world. Ride Safe Dudes!!!!



*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

You are truely living at the edge and I repect you. Here's a poem to keep your spirit up, if ever they waver.

Robert Frost: A Road Not Taken

http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

I would do such a trip in the near future and love to talk to you when you get back.

Best Wishes for your Trip.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, two questions. Why is the girl's face covered? Is that a custom, the other girls have their faces exposed. Also, you didn't mention anything about fuel. I'm assuming you didn't run into any troubles. How easy is it to find a gas station, especially in the area of Tibet. Keep warm! Marty

11:21 AM  
Blogger ZeeVinCeZ said...

To Anonymous: Thanks for the enougrage.

To Marty: I am not sure why they have their face covered? Some just do so. As for the fuel, if you plan your route well, there is nothing much to worry about. There is no need to carry spare. Unless ofcourse you encounter what I did in Day 17. HAHA

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home