Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 24: Cold and COLDER

Breakfast.

Photobucket


COLD. That is the only word that I can use to describe my ride. The temperature was less than 10 degree. It was raining and the wind was very strong. So strong that I can hardly keep my balance. I was fighting against the wind to stay on two wheels. It was a very tiring task. I went real S.L.O.W.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I almost wanted to give up the ride. I really wanted to. I wanted to U-turn, head back to the last town, sell my bike away and carry on the journey on public transport. Why? Because the wind was so damn strong. Because I had this feeling that it would be impossible to ride on. What if it snow? What if my bike breaks down while I am in the mountains? What if... What if... What if....

Somehow, something just told me to press on. There is no end to "what if". Since when did I start worrying about things that has not happen? Hey, that is not me. I am not the kind of person. I will never know till I try, right? And so I rode on.

After riding for quite some time, I finally outrun the rain and I decided to take a break along the road. Then came a tibetian and he asked if I wanted to take a rest at his place as it is cold out here. I had very good experiences with all the tibetians so far. They are all vey friendly and nice.

Photobucket

But then I have to reject his kind offer as the rain seems to be following me. It was coming in fast. Just look at those dark clouds.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So I rode on.

Photobucket

I can clearly see some snow covering the mountains in a distant. I can imagine how cold it is to be up there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then before I know it. I am now in that particular mountain. I did not know that the road will lead me here. It was cold but still, I have to take some pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I just felt so happy and excited to be in the snow, even if it was only for that couple of minutes. The last time I ever saw snow was in Nepal when I did a trekking trip in the Himalayas Range and that was 11 years ago.

Riding on, views along the way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The road conditions became bad. Uneven roads and potholes everywhere. Then I ran into some construction workers and I decided to ask them for some advise. I was deciding whether to take the longer road or the shorter to my next destination. The road for the longer way are good but it is 400km. The shorter road is only about 110km but it goes through the mountains and I do not know the road conditions. "Take the shorter way," they said and so I did.


Photobucket

Photobucket

I was so glad that I had decided to ride on despite the strong wind condition this morning. The sun always shine after the rain and after a day of hard riding, I am finally rewarded with the fruit of my labour. The scenery was so beautiful. The colours of the trees, the atmosphere, the fresh air etc. I felt like I was riding through a beautiful park.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Afterwhich, I made my way to YeNiuGou, a place where only truck drivers go to for a rest in the night. This is the only place for me to sleep before I can finally reach my destination.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I started my day in the rain and ended it in the rain. I was dripping wet when I reached my rest point for the night. It was a day of hard riding and so I decided to pamper myself alittle. I ordered 2 dishes instead of 1 for dinner. I have to be good to my body, dont I?

Photobucket


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home