Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 23: QingHai Lake

I have this feeling that my bike is not in the right condition and so I decided to do alittle maintaince. There is this Chinese saying, "You depend on your family when you are at home, and you depend on friends when you at otuside." I totally agree. I think I am just very lucky that I always meet helpful people. The boss of the place that I stayed at is one good example. Not only did he helped me with food and accomadation last night, he also helped me to find a place to patch up my puncture. Then today, he brought me to a bikeshop where I can do some maintance.

Maintance in progress. Did not fix the speedometer though as they do not have cable for it. Tighten the chian again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

While the husband worked on the bike, the wife was preparing breakfast. It was very nice of her to offer me some of it. Hot from the wok. Ofcourse it taste good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tips for making good friends in China, it is always good to have this with you even if you dont smoke. It helps to break the ice very easily.

Photobucket

Riding on, it was really very cold like had they warned me. It was so cold that mist was formed when I pee. HAHA.

Photobucket

Lunch.

Photobucket

After lunch, I am now riding along the famous railway of QingHai. The highest elevated railway on earth. The railway that goes into Tibet, Qing1 Hai3 Tie3 Lu4.

Photobucket

I am riding from PingAn to XiHai today and along the way, I had made a side trip to QingHai Hu (QingHai Lake) which is more like an inland sea. This lake has often served as the symbolic midway point between Tibet and Mongolia; and it was here that the Mongolian leader Altan Khan conferred upon Sonam Gyatso the title of Dalai Lama .

On the way to QingHai Hu.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally.

Photobucket

The view there is awesome!!

Photobucket

The sand dunes nearby adds to the fanastic feeling of being there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out this short clip for an overview of the lake and its surrounding.



Looking at QingHai Hu from the top of the sand dunes.

Photobucket

My singature shot, Thats me flying at the sand dunes.

Photobucket

The best way to see the lake is to ride the road that goes around the lake. It is a loop of a few hundred kilometers. I would love to do that but I do not have time on my hand. That is why I am seeing it from a distance. There is also a cycling race held here annually. So for those who loving cycling, you can come here for the challange. Not only can you exercise, you can also enjoy the good scenery. Leaving the lake, I made my way to XiHai, a nearby town for the night.

Photobucket

Seeing more tibetian tents along the way.

Photobucket

And oh, today is the day which China had sent its men off into space. I am pretty near that area. :)

That's all for today folks.


*Click HERE to return to the Main Page of The Cold Journey.*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there,
just spend 1.5 hrs of my life reading your blog and have to admit that it has been an exciting adventure. I am sure I am going to do this sometime.....


sportsclimber

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home